My self introduction


Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

My name is Kenneth Sin and I am using this opportunity to introduce myself as a student in your effective communication class, T6. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in clean energy management, having a keen interest in sustainable energy and infrastructure, I am currently pursuing a degree in sustainable infrastructure engineering (building services) program offered by Singapore Institute of Technology.

Aside from academic matters, I volunteer as a mentor for the Youth program in my church. I am attending Bethel Presbyterian Church in Serangoon. I take great pride in nurturing the youths of tomorrow, believing that one day they will use their talents and gifts to bring people towards Christianity.

One of my strengths in communication would be having confidence in public speaking. As a volunteer, I interact with Christians from different walks of life, allowing me to socialize with people of different ages and backgrounds. I take this mentor-ship program as a platform to polish my communication and interaction skills.

One of my weakness in communication would be the pacing of speech. Even though I have plenty of exposure in public speaking, I would unintentionally increase the pace of my speech as I will get nervous speaking to people. Resulting in people not being able to clearly understand what I am talking about, requiring me to repeat the same sentence multiple times.

My goal in studying this module is to broaden my communication and writing skills. I hope to refine my skills in public speaking and to improve my technical writing skills. I intend to make full use of the given resources within this module to work towards my goal. I believe that having you as our professor would greatly increase my chances of success. I hope to work closely with you throughout the semester.

Yours sincerely,
Kenneth Sin

4 comments:

Pin Feng said...

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us.

Content: 8/10 - I like the fact that you included activities that you participate during your personal free time. Elaboration for strengths and weaknesses are substantial and concise.

Organisation: 9/10 - Every paragraph has a clear point and flows very smoothly into the next.

Language: 8/10 - I think the only notable error would from para 4, line 3, "Resulting in people not being able to clearly understand what I am talking about, requiring me to repeat the same sentence multiple times.".

action (increase pace of speech) -comma-> result (resulting in, requiring me to)

You can probably replace the sentence with... "People are not able to hear/understand me clearly, requiring me to repeat the same sentence multiple times."

I thoroughly enjoyed your blog post. Hope to read more of your posts! Come over to my blog to make some comments too. Thank you hehe.

Best Regards,
Pin Feng

j said...

Dear Kenneth,

I have found your introduction very insightful and enjoyed reading it. Below mentioned are some pointers I feel you can improve on.

Contentwise, I am not sure if including the church you attend necessary. I also thought there was a couple of preemptive statements which I felt could be better structured into a sentence.

For the organisation, It was well structured and everything flowed really well throughout which made sense.

As for your language used, I feel like you can change your would to will in a sentence that is still in the present tense.

Overall, had fun reading your post!

Best Regards,
Guyvan

Xiang Tian said...

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for your introduction and sharing your interests. I am also interested in sustainable energy and infrastructure, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on those issues.

Content: The letter covers the points listed in the assignment.

Organisation: The letter is quite well organised, and the points flow smoothly from one paragraph to another

Language: Some parts of your letter looks weird. E.g 'having confidence in public speaking' could be 'being confident in public speaking' instead.

Keep up the writing!


Regards,
Xiang Tian

Brad Blackstone said...

Dear Kenneth,

Thanks very much for this detailed reflection. I appreciate you sharing with us various aspects of your background, including your deep commitment to your role as a mentor in your church. It's also interesting how you connect the communication skills required of this role to a discussion of your weaknesses and strengths, and to your goals for this module. One addition you could make is to give a statement about where the source of your study focus lies.

Your letter exhibits a very positive attitude toward life in general and learning in this module. I hope the module lives up to your expectations.

Best wishes,

Brad